In this post, I'd like to touch on the fine art of milking. Milking is as old as the hills. It can also be a very useful way of breaking into the market. In the UK we used to have a National paper that encouraged it as part of a feature called: "Sunfun", and it was great fun to see how many different variations could come out of a common gag. Private Eye magazine does this to a certain extent as well with typical themes running such as:"Are you looking at my bird?" which has been seen portrayed in many a scenario.
They are well recognized as milking gags and that is the whole idea behind the humor. I love looking at other cartoonists work and thinking how I can turn it around from say, a single panel gag to a strip for example, or from a mag gag to a greeting card. I consider it a challenge to go one better than them. You've all seen the poor old hanging prisoners and the desert Island gags. The possibilities for milking are endless and can generate a wealth of material.
* Hubby catching Wife in bed with stranger or vice- versa.
* Learner drivers.
* Cupid/ Dating Agency.
* Relate/ Marriage guidance.
* Desert Island. (Yes, I reckon you can still get away with the odd one these days!)
* Beauty Salon.
* Tunnel of love.
* Hubby and Wife at party- either chatting up someone else of the opposite sex.
* Mr. and Mrs. Smith booking into Hotel.
* Suicidal person (usually a Man!) on ledge.
* Lottery ticket.
* Your dinner is in......(Note left for Hubby)
* Wife's cooking.
* Nudist Colony.
* Dog and Postman. * Dog in Pub. * Dogs/ Toilet water.
* Hubby returning from Pub.
* Adam and Eve.
* Lost Property Department. * Missing Person's Bureaux. * Suggestions box.
* Just married.
* Interview/ Employment Agency.
* Birds and bees speech.
* Mum gone out and Dad and kids trying to cope.
* Wife visiting Hubby in jail. * Man in Pub talking to Barmaid. "My wife doesn't understand me."
* Estate Agents.
* "Does my bum look big in this?" (Goldmine, this one!")
* Prisoners hanging from chains. (Very well documented)
* Trying on clothes in shop.
* Mother in Law.
* Failure in bed.
* Not remembering Anniversary.
* Hospital. (Nil by mouth notice.)
* Party animal. * Noah's arc.
* Couple lying on beach- Man ogling better looking female.
* Internet shopping.
* Selling matches. * Hobos on park bench.
* Lovers' Lane.
* Drunk and Cop.
* Groom late for Wedding.
* Dad with face buried in newspaper at breakfast table. (eg. "Mum, what does Dad look like?")
* Stag party/ Hen night.
* Excuse to go to the Pub. * Hubby couch potato/ no exercise/ no fresh air but got Sky television.
* Door to door salesman.
* Perfume counter in shop.
* Fridge magnets.
* Dad giving Daughter's date a hard time. * Report card.
* "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!"
* Milkman/ Father's eyes.
*BTW....does my bum look big in this?
The bottom line is THERE IS NO COPYRIGHT ON IDEAS. For more concise info about how to be a successful Cartoonist refer to one of the best in the business and an all-round nice bloke Bill Abbott Cartoons